We currently have a waiting list of older people who would like our face to face befriending service and so are seeking volunteer befrienders to maintain weekly contact via telephone and form a friendship with these older people until they are matched with a befriender who can visit them.
– Chatting and listening to older people over the telephone on a weekly basis.
– Help to build confidence in order to join community groups/day clubs where applicable.
– Assistance in locating local facilities and accessing services e.g. medical, opticians, Citizens Advice Centres, repairs to housing etc.
– Caring, sympathetic, sensitive manner and a non-judgemental approach.
– Reliable and Trustworthy.
– Understanding of confidentiality.
– Good commination skills, good listener.
Older residents in the local community and residents of care homes who are on the Cyril Flint waiting list for a befriender. Our clients are all older people who are lonely and/or socially isolated and want more interaction with others. We offer befriending in Salford, Trafford and Manchester predominantly.
A minimum of one hour per week and committed to the role for at least 6 months if possible.
Please note all of our volunteer befrienders are required to attend an informal recruitment evening and are required to complete an enhanced DBS check (no charge for this). Volunteers must be 18 years old or over.